Sunday, May 31, 2009

Surrender

Possibly my favorite word in the English language. The definition of this word according to Google, is to relinquish control.

I spend my life worrying about everything I can't control...the weather, plane crashes, client personalities, my boss's mood, the economy, the world ending, sickness, and then I was introduced to the concept of surrender.

This concept was introduced to me in December (by the fabulous Oprah on her 8 disc collection), and it's become a word that continues to show up in my life. Have I surrendered all of my fears and concerns...of course not, but am I a slowly beginning to learn and feel the release of items in my life I can't control.....yes.

Tonight at church, Pastor Pete spoke about the Why, that's the part of our life we can control. We may not be able to control the Who, What, and Where, but it's the Why that's in our hands. His example was we may not love our Job, and right now you may not be able to leave that job or get a new job, but you have a job, and you can control your attitude and emotions every day toward that job and in that job.

Focus on what you can control and what's within your control, and then let the rest go, surrender it all. Surrender the things in your life that you can not change, and the fears of things out of your hands.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to surrender my obsession with money and secondly with dessert. perhaps if i stopped by things to make desserts or just buying them straight up in general I would have more money.


    Why oh Why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A Pastor Pete blog! He'd be so proud to know that people were blogging about his sermons...

    I'm so glad you're blogging again! :)

    ReplyDelete